Sunday 29 January 2017

finally! a Bee quilt!

 Eons ago, I started a bee quilt. Blocks were assembled from this one and that one,  I had decided on a tessellated design, so backgrounds for blocks were in squares, to be finished 12" or 6", or rectangles, to finish 62 x 12". Add a restricted palate of bright cheerful hues, and then have great fun organising and arranging these.





Then, the real fun begins. Several part seams. some slightly under or oversized blocks- you may think, oversized is easy, just chop a bit off, but when a design gets near the edge,, that is not always a wonderful solution...
 Then to quilt it.
I knew I just wanted to do a cosy fleece backing   ( Quilt police , just do not look, please!), and I had some variegated thread to work with. I did simple organic wide quilting to anchor everything, and then, with trepidation, and after several practice efforts, I actually did odd bits of FMQ in a few places.

Go me!
 See that flower by the wee birdie?   yes, that is one of the bits. Or does this count more as embroidery? I am not quite certain, but it was free motion, so, that is a start.


And there you see my DS, home for the weekend, holding up the Bee masterpiece! He and his girlfriend have trotted it off down to London to cheer their wee home up a bit. I am very happy to see it go off to a happy home, to be snuggled under.

I was chuffed to bits to get the effect I wanted with those varied size blocks.

Thank you everyone who contributed.





3 comments:

Sarah said...

So glad I spotted this post Rachel. The quilt looks so brilliant in you restricted palette and you did great with your quilting. What a happy little quilt!

Unknown said...

The colours are incredible. So much work but wow what a great result. Love this :-)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This looks amazing, Rachel! You have done a wonderful job of joining all those pieces together to get such a lovely balance of colours and flower sizes and your quilting has finished it off beautifully. It really is a work of art. Congrats :) x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts